Need a new theme for a movie night? Whether it’s a night just for two or a night full of friends, we’ve got you covered. Today’s movie is The Aviator movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio as crazy aviator Howard Hughes and this is your guide.
There’s no better way to start a party than with the sophistication and glamor of an old Hollywood party. As you may or may not know, Howard Hughes not only flew airplanes, he used to be a filmmaker, he dated a lot of stars (like Kate Hepburn and Ava Gardner) to boot. So throw a party that even Jack Warner would be proud of. Challenge everyone to dress up as their favorite Hollywood royalty. You can even send out fun, old-fashioned invitations if you don’t mind the little extra cost. A big band CD is a must. Nothing sets the mood of this film better than that.
As this is a sophisticated yet fun party, you will need lots of pink and sparkling champagne. Shirley Temples are a great idea for the non-alcoholic drinker. All you have to do is lots of Cherry 7-Up. It will do the trick. Just make sure to put some maraschino cherries in the jars.
Today’s dessert is the deliciously glamorous yet fun duck puffs. It’s a cute little dessert that fits the flying element of the image while still bringing in the old Hollywood. While they look daunting, they actually are anything but. In fact, you can make these little babies ahead of time and keep them in the fridge until ready to serve. Here is the recipe:
“The Flying Duck’s Cream Puffs”*
Ingredients: 1/8 cup strawberry jam, 4 eggs, ½ cup butter, 6.8 ounces instant custard with no sugar, 1 cup water, ¼ tsp salt, 1 cup all-purpose flour, 3 and ½ cups milk, and powdered sugar.
1) In a saucepan, heat butter, water, and salt over medium-high heat. Add flour and stir until a smooth ball forms. Then remove from the stove and let stand for about 5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time. Beat well and until smooth and shiny.
2) Cut a small hon in the corner of a Ziploc storage bag. Fill the bag with batter on a 15 x 17 greased baking sheet. Make 3 dozen 1 inch long hook shapes, making a small blob at the end for each duck head. Bake at 400 degrees for about 8 minutes (they are done when golden brown). Place on wire racks to cool.
3) Place 36 level tablespoons of batter on another greased baking sheet. Form dough into drops. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes (again they should be golden brown). Remove on gratings.
4) Mix the milk with the pudding mixture in a medium bowl for just 1 minute. Place the cling film-covered bowl in the fridge for at least an hour.
5) Cut off the top 1/3 of each train. Remove any soft dough. Place the filling at the bottom of the cream puffs. Top with strawberry jam. For the wings, cut the tips in half lengthways. Place wings in the filling. Put the necks in the filling. Dust with sifted powdered sugar.
6) Enjoy with all the glamor and sophistication you can muster.
Now it’s time to serve the little ducks and sit down to enjoy the moving picture. So pop in the DVD that says The Aviator and let’s get started. I know Leonardo Dicaprio is in this picture but he’s good, believe me. This film has something for everyone to enjoy: costumes, beautiful colors, excellent actors, tragic drama and lots of excitement. What more do you want? Here I have compiled ten things to look out for when watching this film:
Probably Page Break1) Leonardo’s Butt – I didn’t see that coming even after telling you to watch out. Tisk, Tisk. Well, there it is in all its glory (along with him, surrounded by piss jars). Really attractive.
2) Really Scary Plane Crash – It’s scary… and it’s not just scary for the kids. Kinda cool…hey mom, look at all that blood.
3) Dazzling Paparazzi Lightbulbs – Yes, it hurts to blink all those lightbulbs. I would look away, but I don’t want to miss anything.
4) Kate Hepburn-Okay, we all know that Cate Blanchett could even play a dog and make it look real. Even if she doesn’t play a dog, we think she’s Kate to the end (although she hardly resembles her).
5) The Terribly Dirty Janitor Guy – Even I would become obsessive compulsive just looking at the guy. I mean have you seen his nails? ick
6) The Fantastically Huge Court Trial – Every good movie has a standout speech that will make you cry, cheer and root for the madman. need i say more That’s another point for the little guy!
7) Gwen Stefani’s Two Lines – Listen to the two lines and don’t be amazed. While she looks that way, I’m glad they stuck with the two lines.
8) Crazy Big Band Singer – I’m amazed at the tremendous energy this guy has. It should have been an award-winning performance. It makes you laugh so hard you can’t see clearly. In a weird way, it’s so funny that it’s right.
9) Clothes Burn Campfire – This is the craziest campfire scene I’ve ever seen. The music is crazy but it still makes me want to join Hughes and burn all the clothes. Until you realize that you are standing in front of a room, naked and without clothes. That is embarrassing!
10) When he tells his date not to eat too much ice cream – The whole thing gives me goosebumps. The title of this title should also give you goosebumps. how old is the girl Really crazy, and I don’t even want to know.
Well, with all this advice, your movie night will be the talk of the town. By next year everyone will be talking about ducks and crazies. A job well done!
*The base of the recipe is from Taste Of Home and then I shaped it from there.